Bird ringing allows a close connection with birds, as well as being an important tool to study birds. By coming on a ringing expedition, you are contributing to monitoring birds. Ringing monitoring is conducted at a variety of ringing sites on the Cape Peninsula (southern suburbs of Cape Town), mostly wetland sites. In partnership with the Biodiversity and Development Institute, you can join 10 day ringing expeditions at a site 1 hour’s drive from Cape Town. You can also choose one of the established ringing trips in South Africa, or enquire about ringing trips elsewhere in Africa.
|Next confirmed tour with open spaces: 3-12 December 2019
Book now to get your discount for this tour!
Bird ringing services:
- Ten day ringing expeditions with BDI African Ringing Expeditions, and with Dieter as ringing leader.
- Custom bird ringing tours can be organised in South Africa (especially the Karoo, and Zululand in KwaZulu-Natal), Namibia, Seychelles, and other African countries.
- Ringers and birders are welcome to join Dieter for morning sessions in Cape Town.
- Dieter can provide bird ringing training courses.
- Ringing demonstrations for anyone wanting to learn more about this way of studying birds or just appreciating birds from really close up.
Dieter provides all ringing equipment, and has all the required permits. Ringing is conducted ethically, and all data is curated at SAFRING at the University of Cape Town, where the data is available to researchers.