“I’m very grateful to Dieter and Manuel for their patience, perseverance and expertise as they shared their extensive bird-ringing skills and knowledge with all those participating in the fantastic course on Aride in August.” Craig Nisbet, Desroches Island Conservation Officer (see Aride blog)
Bird ringing allows a close connection with birds, as well as being an important tool to study birds. By coming on a ringing expedition, you are contributing to monitoring birds. Ringing monitoring is conducted at a variety of ringing sites on the Cape Peninsula (southern suburbs of Cape Town), mostly wetland sites. In partnership with the Biodiversity and Development Institute, you can join 10 day ringing expeditions at a site 1 hour’s drive from Cape Town. You can also choose one of the established ringing trips in South Africa, or enquire about ringing trips elsewhere in Africa.
Bird ringing services:
- 2020 ringing tours
- Ten day ringing expeditions with BDI African Ringing Expeditions, and with Dieter as ringing leader.
- Custom bird ringing tours can be organised in South Africa (especially the Karoo, and Zululand in KwaZulu-Natal), Namibia, Seychelles, and other African countries.
- Specialist ringing, like swallow chicks and weaverbird chicks.
- Introduction to bird ringing for Field Biology Courses and student groups (eg at Fynbos Estate, at Klipbokkop)
- Ringers and birders are welcome to join Dieter for morning sessions in Cape Town.
- Dieter can provide bird ringing training courses.
- Ringing demonstrations for anyone wanting to learn more about this way of studying birds or just appreciating birds from really close up.
Dieter provides all ringing equipment, and has all the required permits. Ringing is conducted ethically, and all data is curated at SAFRING at the University of Cape Town, where the data is available to researchers.
Some previous ringing courses led by Dieter
Aride, Seychelles, 12-18 August 2019
Bird ringing course, Aride, Seychelles, 15-22 October 2017
Mbour, Senegal, 22-26 October 2016 [after PAOC]
Bird ringing course, Fregate Island, Seychelles, 12-22 July 2015
Bird ringing course, Cousin & Cousine Islands, Seychelles, 11-16 Feb 2014
Barberspan ringing conference, 28 Nov – 1 Dec 2013
Ringing course, Zambia, 29 March – 6 April 2012
Bird ringing course, Cousin Island, Seychelles, 18-23 September 2011
Ringing & atlasing workshop, Barberspan, 9-16 March 2011
Ringing course in Port Elizabeth, May 2010
Barberspan ringing conference and more, 11-22 March 2010
Wakkerstroom Bird ringing course, 3-7 January 2005
SAFRING national ringing workshop, Landela, 2005
AEWA/AFRING ringing course, Kenya, 19-26 Sept 2004
Bird ringing course, Wakkerstroom, 3-10 January 2004
Bird ringing course, Wakkerstroom, 30 Nov – 6 Dec 2002
Bird ringing course, Lamberts Bay, 19-26 October 2002
SAFRING Wakkerstroom National Ringing Training Course, 1-8 December 2001
Seabird ringing course, Lamberts Bay, 13-20 October 2001